Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter and More Silly Sleeping

For some reason Abbie's jammie shirt was dirty and so Mark let her wear his shirt. This is how Ken found the two of them when he went to get ready for bed.Abbie and Spencer helped me make some treats to take to Grandma Jennie for her flight to Texas. These are so tasty - caramel (cut in half) dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts.

One of our Easter traditions is making our own Easter baskets. I pull out stamps (of course), markers, ribbon, buttons, etc... and we just had a little crafting party.
Noticing the score lines on his basket Spencer asked Ken to play Tic-Tack-Toe with him. Spencer just picked up randomly colored buttons, so don't be fooled. This is his "winning" move, filling in the top row.
Abbie gluing on little jewels to decorate her flower.
Mark saw the buttons and wanted to put 12 on his basket to represent the 12 tribes of Israel. Not quite sure where he came up with that idea, but it was definitely original.
Ken was so studious about his making his basket and was a great sport helping the kids with theirs.
Ta-da! It looks like there is one parent in this picture - I am so short!

Abbie, Jessie and Spencer helped get the egg dye ready while Ken and Mark were down watching a little baseball. We make our own of this too. It's so easy and works great! Besides it costs about the same to get a box of food coloring or an egg dying kit and this way you have coloring leftover for pancakes, biscuits, milk or any other thing you get the urge to color.

Egg Dye

1 cup boiling water
1 Tbsp. vinegar
15 drops food coloring

Spencer put his 15 or so drops in and then grabbed another color and added a squeeze of that too.The kids had quite a bit of fun rubber banding the eggs this year.
The blue is the egg and red is a rubber band.
Ta-da: the finished product. Do you love Jessie's camera smile?
Cheese!
These eggs are bright! This year we didn't get white eggs at the store to dye we just dyed the brown ones from our chickens. The colors were pretty intense, but sometimes a little weird because they were on top of varying shades of brown. The batteries on the flash died for this picture. But Spencer was constantly checking all the other eggs.
We tried some tie-dye eggs. You splash vinegar on the egg in the strainer and then drip a drop of coloring on it and swirl it around and then add another drop. Then you dunk it in cold water to set the color. I think the different colors of dye would have shown up better on white eggs.

Instead of using the spoon to remove one egg Spencer just stuck his whole hand in the glass to get the egg. Does he even look sorry?
At Ken's parents we did the Easter story in the eggs and then the kids went into the backyard for the egg hunt. Ken snapped a few pictures of the kids running all over.
This beautiful flower was at Ken's parents and I have to say that I'm a little jealous. We had a few crocus bloom and now they are gone and today when I pulled out two whole buckets of weed from the front flower bed I spotted only one little purple flower out there blooming. How can I really have two buckets of weeds and only one flower?
Spencer found this HUGE stick that Grandpa cut off his tree and used it for both a sword and a fishing pole. (I know you're thinking how reverent my sweet little boy is, right?)

2 comments:

DeeAnna said...

Spencer makes me laugh, that smile in the last photo was perfect. I love the easter basket idea, we might have to try that next year.

hwg2g2 said...

I am sure in your family picture witht the baskets that is did not help that Abbie is standing on a chair. :-) I know how you feel! Yesterday at Conrad's school party a child asked me if KARINA was my SISTER! UMMMMmmmm.....NO! The funny part is I said yes because I just heard is she your... and Conrad told me as we were walking away the rest of what she said!

All of your Easter fun stuff is awsome. I was a little sad to have Conrad at his dad's that week-end so we missed out a little. Next year!