Wednesday, March 31, 2010

A Hopping Green Day

Abbie and Spencer helped me to make some shamrock sugar cookies for St. Patrick’s Day.  Only our first effort was more effort than it was worth: rolling a log of dough in green sugar, putting it in the fridge then cutting off little buttons and smashing them together to make little flowers.  After two pans of those I thought to use a little heart cookie cutter instead….SO much better!DSC_0068DSC_0069I was just making them for the family as a treat when I found this little saying, “Lucky to be loved by you,” on one of the blogs I check and…a little project began.  So the kids helped me make up a few plates when they got home and we took them around.DSC_0071I also made little cards for each of the kids and Ken and wrote them little notes and left them on their pillows.  It was a good day.

For the Relief Society birthday party I was asked to make the birthday cake.  I was happy to help so we’d have a tasty homemade dessert and not nasty dry store bought cake with fake frosting.  DSC_0072 Abbie helped me peel and shred carrots for the Carrot Cake, and while the Apple Spice Cake was baking we took advantage of the beautiful weather and drew a hopscotch board out on the sidewalk.DSC_0074DSC_0075 I actually tried hopping to show and kids and QUICKLY decided that was not a great idea.  But it was fun to watch Abbie and Spencer.

I forgot to take pictures of the birthday cakes, but I was really happy with how they turned out.  Along with the other two cakes I also made two Chocolate Mint Cakes with Fudge Frosting – Yummy!

6 comments:

Audra said...

Where do you find the time? Crazy woman. I would have loved to see the cakes, maybe next time. I think that sometimes it is cheaper and easier to buy a cake than make one (or 4) - I wish I had a friend like you who lived CLOSER to remind me to not always take the short cuts.

Homemade cake sounds so good right now.

I think you are the best!

hwg2g2 said...

That post made me hungery for some sweet stuff! The cookies were so cute! I love the pictures of your happy helpers! I love it when the kids help me cook!
The cakes for RS sound awsome! I would have loved to see them.
I totaly hear you about the jumping thing! I tried running the other day and after about three steps decided to stop before you hurt something! It will be nice to have my real body back so I can do things like that with the kids and not just watch.

djensen said...

What were you thinking trying to jump! :)

Steph said...

We are loving that the weather is so nice we can draw hopscotch outside and take up the one made of painters tape on our basement floor! And I loved your "lucky" idea. We totally forgot about St. Patty's day this year... didn't even send the kids to school wearing green! We have nowhere to go but up next year... :)

hwg2g2 said...

So, tonight I was catching up on your blog and I came to this post and I now really want a sugar cookie with icing on it! Crave, crave, crave! Stupid diabetes! I guess I'll have a carrot instead, that is the same right?

M said...

Wow! Your family looks so beautiful and your kids are soooo big!! Have I ever told you you're one of the moms I try to be like? Well you are :D I found your blog through Steph's - hope it's okay if I stop by to see what you all are up to every now and then :D