Thursday, March 4, 2010

Olympic Fun

We watched several nights of the Olympics and stayed up way later than we planned each time.  I hadn’t remembered how many commercials there were and after one night that was driving me nuts.  So my mom came up with some ideas and I gathered the needed supplies so that during the commercials we could have some Olympic fun of our own.  The kids loved it!

Our first event was a crab walk race.  My mom and I held the finish line at the other end of the family room.DSC_0011Then we had a spoon relay race with some small balls.  Spencer was our official starter…and Ken was racing to Abbie while Mark was racing to Jessie.DSC_0019 DSC_0013Here’s Ken holding up one end of the finish line.DSC_0015Jessie’s showing us how long she can balance a ruler.  We did it on end like this and also horizontal across one finger.DSC_0016Our final event of the evening was block stacking.DSC_0023DSC_0025Jessie didn’t think our Olympics were complete so she made four 1st place ribbons (one for each of the kids).DSC_0026As far as other news.  Abbie and Spencer took a swimming class twice a week before kindergarten started during February.  They did a super job listening and learned quite a bit.  For the last two lessons Abbie was able to swim with her head in the water!  I had forgotten how hard it is to learn how to not get water up your nose.  I would totally recommend the lessons to anyone.  The lady has a heated indoor pool in her backyard, and it’s just across Canyon Road.IMG_0801Sometimes I wonder why we buy kids fancy toys.  Abbie and Spencer made a train track for his trains in the living room with “Five Crowns” cards and had a blast.  That’s way cheaper than the $20 packs of tracks we’ve been getting for him.DSC_0028

Spencer and my mom had a lot of fun together.  They made up an indoor soccer game where Spencer dribbled the ball down the hall and into the living room where he would try to score a point by kicking the ball into the front of the couch where my mom was sitting as goalie.  If she blocked it she got a point and if she missed and he hit the couch he got a point.  They played it over and over again.  I think Spencer’s real favorite part of the whole activity was Mom’s sports casting commentary of all of his moves.

They also had fun putting together some puzzles, coloring and playing a few games.DSC_0030While mom was here I was able to have lunch with Angie kid-free.  I think we talked for two hours.  It was a nice and relaxing afternoon for me, and bread sticks weren’t bad either. :-)IMG_0806

3 comments:

DeeAnna said...

What a fun idea for the commercials!

hwg2g2 said...

The kids told me about what fun they had at your olmpics. Thay is very cool. I mostly watched after the kids were in bed.
Speeking of cheap toys, Karina and Conrad played for days in the boxes our Pampered Chef stuff came in. They had so much fun and it was fun to watch them playing.
I am so glad you enjoyed Mom's visit! I know she did.
I think it is great that you got to have a kids free lunch with your friend! Our ward does Girl's Night Out once a month and we talk for hours! Michael puts the kids to bed and I get to unwind. These nights I am home a little earlyer than in the past though.

Steph said...

Fun! We will remember that for the commercials in 2012... the Olympics are so fun.
Looks like you had a great visit with your mom!