Monday, November 1, 2010

A new driveway and the start of school

Here’s the old driveway that Ken’s been wanting to replace almost since we moved into this house.  We knew it was really time when the snow melted this spring and half the drive was in the lawn from shoveling snow off of it.DSC_0004Ken had the camera today and took some 84 pictures of this process (and you thought I was a shutter-bug!!)  Here’s one cool sequence he captured. 2010_08_21It took about 4 loads of dumping to get rid of all that concrete.  Abbie was the first one who got to ride in the dump truck to the dump site.DSC_0032Almost done with the tearing out…DSC_0053Now for some fun in the dirt!!  I think Mark and Spencer brought out every car they own.  There were so many cool tracks to play in.DSC_0054Before the bobcat went home the kids somehow convinced Ken that they should be able to  take it for a spin.  I was totally convinced that they would knock over our house…but it survived unharmed.  Abbie was the first lucky driver.  Raising the bucket was a favorite.Starred Photos39Mark was the most adventurous of the older kids backing up, and spinning in a circle.  Thankfully Spencer was happy to ride with dad… I think Ken had quite a bit more fun than he expected because they drove all over the dirt, turning in circles, and making me a little nervous.

Abbie is always so creative when she plays with the Magnetixs.  These are her chicken feet. It was fun to watch here try and get the vertical part to balance and not knock the nearby feet over.DSC_0109Happy smiles for the first day of school.DSC_0111This is how Spencer entertained himself after the kids left for school.  Boy does he miss them during the day.  Daddy brought home these balls from work and Spencer thought they made perfect fly eyes.  He had me take a picture of each way they could be – no words, both words and one of each.2010_08_24Spencer loves to be with Neil and especially loves to give him kisses!DSC_0120 Mark’s first soccer game…sorry it’s just been to long to remember any of the details…which is why I need to hurry and get caught up on this thing.DSC_0127A friend and I have been walking each morning and I was telling her about starting a fun “first day of school” treat tradition.  However the first day of school came and went I it just didn’t happen…bless her heart the evening of the second day of school she stopped by with this awesome treat for each of my kids!  What an AWESOME surprise it was.2010_08_25The driveway was poured that weekend…YEAH!!!  It was so weird not having a back step.DSC_0173DSC_0181 They left us some big orange cones to block off the driveway so no one would get on it.  My kids thought they were the coolest toy and after the driveway was dry enough to walk on they had cone races up it.  They would put their feet on either side of the cone, then hold tight to the top and hop their way up.

The only problem with our new driveway is I’m not sure the exact place to stop when I’m in Ken’s car…before you stopped when the front left wheel was down in the big hole!!   :o)

On Sunday we had a little popcorn snack in the backyard under the carport.  The neighbors cat, Tiger, joined us.  To get him to stop sniffing our snack I got a small hand of popcorn and set it over to the side for him to sniff.  Not only did he sniff it, but he ATE it!  We were all surprised.  Now, I think, more than ever he thinks he’s our cat.  Little stinker.  Jessie took this picture of him chillin’ with us.DSC_0193DSC_0201 Ken got a goodly harvest that day.  Our tomatoes were a little slow coming on this year.DSC_0190David came over and joined us for dinner and helped out with Neil.  (We were waiting for my family from Missouri to arrive because my Grandpa wasn’t doing so well.)DSC_0210 I just LOVE all the different plates I’ve been able to get.  It’s just too fun.DSC_0213

3 comments:

DeeAnna said...

I like looking through your posts with the kids, Seth yells Baby! Kitty! And Joseph yells Spencer! Mark! They also liked the tractor. And what a great shot of Mark in the soccer game, sounds like fun times!

djensen said...

I bet the kids really loved playing with the bobcat and in the dirt-a little boys heaven! Love the pic of David with Neil in the moby.

hwg2g2 said...

LOVE the sequence pictures of the driveway being ripped out! That is just cool!
That is fun that your guys got to drive the digger! What a childhood fantasy coming true!
Abbie, Cute chicken feet!
What a perfect before the first day of school picture! Love Spencer's entertainment too, cute!
The one of Spencer kissing Neil has to be added to the wall of pictures! To date it is a favorite!
I am so glad you have a friend that is so thoughtful to you and your family! Priceless!
Ya, not having a hole to mark your stopping point must be a pain, perhaps you could get a big jack hammer and correct the problem! LOL! or you could try the tennis ball tied to a sting trick.
Neil and Jessie are so cute! Baby pictures are always needed!
Your tomatoes did so much better than our did this year (someone kept forgetting to water ours, either me or heaven, I guess I should take some of the blame, because he made the sun shine so I should have put forth a little effort...)
So glad you love the wrap! David is so sweet with Neil.
Your plates do look very cool.